In light of Mental Health Awareness month, the team at THIRA would like to provide you with all possible resources to help cope with mental health challenges. Such resources can come in many forms, such as individual therapy sessions, support groups, and even health and wellness programs.
However, we understand that in-person therapy (and therapy as a whole) may not be an option for everyone. In today’s digital world finding resources and answers for mental health challenges has become easier – as has to take that first step towards getting help. In light of this, we would like to recommend a few apps to help you get started on your self-help journey, improve your daily routines and practice DBT-based mindfulness skills in the comfort of your home (and phone).
Here are our top self-help apps we recommend:
Check in with a supportive friend
- 7 cups – formerly known as 7 Cups of Tea, this app anonymously connects you with caring trainer listeners, online therapists, and counselors for an online chat whenever you need it most.
- Talkspace connects you with therapists online and facilitates conversations to help you deal with depression, anxiety, and stress.
- BetterHelp is a paid service similar to TalkSpace. It connects you to counselors for a more structured therapy schedule.
Reduce stress & practice mindfulness
- Shine – a daily check-in app based on positivity and mindfulness. Every check-in is accompanied by a “Shine” talk that not only encourages positive thinking but also improves your mood and sets the right tone for the whole day.
- Happify helps you break old negative habits and build new positive one through a series of engaging activities and games.
- Headspace is a friendly app for guided meditation sessions. It offers hundreds of themed meditation guides for any location, time or day in your schedule.
- Gratitude Journal – a digital journal that allows for daily notes of gratitude. It only takes 5 minutes, but makes a huge difference!
Try a new routine
- Pacifica – a phenomenal DBT-based app that builds unique therapy programs just for you. Daily check-ins include meditation, exercises and mood and health tracking.
- What’s up? Based on DBT and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, What’s up? Helps you cope with depression, anxiety, and stress through a series of habit-changing exercises.
- Breathing Zone is a handy breathing analyzer app that is easy to use and teaches you how to meditate using breath patterns in under 5 minutes.
- Sleep Cycle literally analyzes your sleeping patterns and wakes you up when it’s healthiest and you feel your best. Definitely worth checking out!
- Habitica is a gamified task manager that improves productivity by opening new levels and increasing accountability.
- Viridi “Viridi is a gardening sim, specifically featuring succulents, that grow right in your phone or computer while you’re away.” We love it!
- Forest is an app that helps you stay focused and off your phone. Plant a tree and let it grow as you complete your tasks and to-dos.
- Freedom – blocks distractions on the web and your phone, whenever you need it most.